More Information Clerk and Recorder
Land Use
Clerk and Recorder
Road and Bridge
County Fair
Additional Departments
Elected Officials
Sheriff Office

County Clerk: Beverly Wenger
Contact the County Clerk.
Clerk and Recorder
310 Ash, Suite F
Wray, CO 80758
Wray Office Mon. - Fri.
8:30am - 4:30pm
Phone: 970-332-5809
Fax: 970-332-5919
Motor Vehicle Phone Number: 970-332-5897

Like us on Facebook at Yuma County Clerk and Recorder
Basic Information

The Clerk and Recorder's Office is responsible for issuing and recording marriage licenses, recording all real estate transactions, issuing liquor licenses, registering voters, conducting all primary general and county elections and, when contracted, municipal, school district and special district elections. The Clerk and Recorder's Office also operates the Motor Vehicle Divisions titling vehicles and issuing license plates and the Driver's License Department for issuing driving permits and licenses.

Return to Top

Drivers License

Drivers License Department

Note: Both the Wray and Yuma offices can now print MVRs.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The Wray office is closed every third Friday of the month.
Yuma County Courthouse
310 Ash, Suite F, 80758
970-332-5919 (fax)
Full service office, No reinstatements
Written and driving test hours 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Drive tests may not be available every day. Please call ahead to ensure drive test availability. Drive tests are conducted by appointment only.

Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The Yuma office is closed every third Friday of the month.
910 S. Main St.
970-848-2338 (fax)
Full service office, No reinstatements
Written and driving test hours 8:30 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
Drive tests may not be available every day. Please call ahead to ensure drive test availability. Drive tests are conducted by appointment only.

CDL License
Written testing for the Commercial Drivers License is administered at the above offices. Driving test can be taken from the companies listed in the link below.

Requirements for All Licenses
Proof of Address

New Proof of Address changes went into effect on August 19, 2015. Two proof of physical Colorado address documents are required for following applicants:
  • First time and new applicants
  • Individuals with a Colorado driver license, instruction permit, or identification card that has been expired over one year
  • Individuals changing the address on their card
  • Individuals reinstating their driving pivilege and require testing
Those individuals who are renewing their valid - or expired less than one year - Colorado driver license, instruction permit, or identification card that displays their current physical address can present only that document to meet the updated requirements.

Documents presented to the DMV must include the applicant's name, full residential address and be dated whthin one year. Electronic documents or documents that only display a PO box number are not acceptable.

All documents presented must be dated within one year of application
  • Computer Generated Bill (utility, credit card, doctor, hospital, etc.)
  • Bank Statement
  • Pre-Printed Pay Stub
  • First-Class Mail (government agency or court)
  • Current Homeowner's, Renter's, or Motor Vehicle
  • Insurance Policy
  • Mortgage, Lease, or Rental Contract
  • Transcript or Report Card from an Accredited School
  • Motor Vehicle Registration
  • USPS Change Of Address Form (CNL107) W-2, SSA-1099, Non-SSA-1099
  • DD214
NOTE: In order to meet the requirements for proof of address we suggest bringing more documentation than is necessary for every visit to a DMV office. Junk mail or bulk mailing (coupons, weekly mailers, advertising) and any hand-written documents are not acceptable as proof of address documentation. For a minor child, a parent can provide the address with their license, as long it is correct.

You must provide enough documentation to prove identity, age, name, and lawful presence. See the Identification Requirements Chart for documents you can use. Each document must meet the following minimum requirements:
  • Certified originals
  • Certified amended originals
  • True copies certified by the issuing agency
Click to view identification requirements.

Driving Instruction Permit
There are three types of permits available to minors:
  1. Drivers Education Permit - Available to minors 15 years to 15 years 6 months. No tests given prior to 15th birthday.
    • Expires 3 years from the date of issue
    • Must hold the permit for a minimum of 12 months before applying for a driver license
    • Must present a completed Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship (DR2460)
    • Must present a completed Affidavit of Enrollment in Driver Education showing enrollment in a Driver Education Course approved by the department. (back of DR2460)
    • May drive only with the driver ed instructor or the person(s)who signed the DR2460 until the age of 16. This restriction is automatically lifted when the minor reaches 16. May then drive with any licensed driver 21 years of age or older.
  2. Driver Awareness Permit - Available to minors 15 years 6 months - 16 years
    • Expires 3 years from the date of issue
    • Must hold the permit for a minimum of 12 months before applying for a driver license
    • Must present a completed Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship (DR2460)
    • Must provide documentation indicating they have completed a 4 hour driver awareness program approved by the department
    • May drive only with the person who signed the DR2460 until the age of 16. This restriction is automatically lifted when the minor reaches 16. May then drive with any licensed driver 21 years of age or older.
    • Are now required to complete a six hour BTW training for 15-year-olds to 15 years and 6 months
  3. Minor Instruction Permit - available to minors 16 years to 21 years
    • Expires 3 years from the date of issue
    • Minors under 18 must hold the permit for a minimum of 12 months before applying for a driver license.
    • Must present a completed Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship (DR2460)
    • May drive with any licensed driver 21 years of age or older.

      The minor customer must present a certified county or state issued birth certificate or other acceptable form of identification, and their Social Security Number and pass a written test and a vision screening test to be issued an instruction permit. Every applicant under age 18 must submit an "Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship" (DR2460) signed by a parent or stepparent, a guardian or a grandparent with Power of Attorney. The DR2460 must be verified by either a driver license employee or a Notary Public. If the signer is a guardian, original court documents showing guardianship, custody or adoption must be presented. If the signer is a grandparent with Power of Attorney (POA), the original POA must be presented and a copy of the POA must be surrendered upon application for the permit. If neither parent is living, the legal guardian of the minor may sign the affidavit. In this case, court-ordered guardianship papers are required. The affidavit may be obtained at any Motor Vehicle Driver License Office; the back of the Colorado Driver's Manual; or on the Motor Vehicle Division Handbooks Web page.
Driver's Handbooks
Find handbooks to study for your written driver's license test, including CDLs.

Renew by Mail
Per statute changes, effective May 31, 2005, drivers 61 years of age and older are no longer eligible to renew by mail. Also effective May 31, all regular Colorado drivers licenses, issued on or after May 31, are valid for 5 years.

Additional information may be obtained by visiting, clicking on government link and following the tabs.

Return to Top

Motor Vehicle

The Yuma County Motor Vehicle Department is responsible for vehicle registration, titling and issuing of license plates.

Wray Office - Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30
970-332-5919 (fax)

Yuma Office - Tuesday and Thursday 8:30 - 4:00
970-848-2338 (fax)

Now accepting check, cash, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express credit cards

Renew License Plates Online

Secure and Verifiable Identification Required
Beginning June 1st, 2006 Secure and Verifiable Identification is required to obtain a new Colorado title, transfer of a title, a new handicap placard, a new registration, or a temporary permit. A secure and verifiable identification consists of one following identifications:
  • Bill of Sale Required as of July 1, 2009
    In order to process a title transaction, we now require a Bill of Sale. It should include the purhcase price, date, VIN number, and signature of the selling and buying parties. A Bill of Sale will be required on every new title transaction. A blank Bill of Sale can be picked up at the Yuma County Clerk's Motor Vehicle Office.
  • Any Colorado Driver License or Colorado Identification Card expired less than 1 year
  • Out of state issued photo driver license or photo identification card expired less than 1 year
  • US passport expired less than 10 years
  • Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid Processed For I551 stamps; No: B1,B2, WT,WB, CP, or NC status. H1,H2, J1, J2, F1, F2etc., requires verification of Colorado employment or education.
  • Valid I551 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident card. NO border crosser or USA B1/B2 Visa/BCC cards.
  • Valid I688 Temporary Resident Card, I688B and I766 Employment Authorization Card
  • Valid US Military ID( active duty, dependent, retired, reserve and National Guard)
  • Tribal Identification Card
  • Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo
  • Certificate of (US) Citizenship with intact photo.

The person coming into the office to complete the title work must be named on the title, handicap placard application, new registration (new vehicle to owner), or temporary permit. If the named person or persons is unable to come into the office a Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney is required for the person coming into the office to be able to complete the transaction.

The Power of Attorney form is located on the Deptartment of Revenue Motor Vehicle web site, or you may come into the office to acquire one.
Joint Tenancy/Tenancy in Common
If a vehicle is to be titled in two or more names, all persons must sign an Acknowledgment of Intent to have title issued in Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship. Without authorization from all parties, the title with be issued as Tenancy in Common.

The difference?
Joint Tenancy with rights of Survivorship is defined as: A form of legal co-ownership of property (also known as survivorship). At the death of one co-owner, the surviving co-owner becomes sole owner of the property. Transfer of ownership requires copy of death certificate and signature of survivor.

Tenancy in Common is defined as: The equal or unequal holding of property by two or more persons. At the death of one co-owner, the deceased share of the property goes to his/her estate and is to be divided according to his/her will of the law in the absence of a will. Transfer of ownership requires documents appointing a personal representative for the decedent.

License Plate Expiration
In Colorado, a 30-day grace period is given for all renewals. (Example: If your plates expire in February, you have until the last working day in March to renew your plates.)

Colorado Title Transfer
If transferring a Colorado title to your name without a lien, a new title can be printed if the person whose name the title is being transferred to is present and has a valid photo identification.

As of July 1, 2009, we no longer give estimates without the proper title paperwork in the office. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding in this matter.

Homemade Trailer Requirements
  1. Weight Slip
  2. Certified VIN inspection - additional fee applies
  3. Dimensions (Example: 8 feet long by 6 feet wide.)
  4. Value (How much the trailer is worth.)
  5. DR 2697 Certificate of Equipment Compliance - If under 2000 pounds
Kit Trailer Requirements
  1. Cash Register Receipt
  2. Homemade Trailer Affidavit
  3. DR 2697 Certificate of Equipment Compliance
  4. Certified VIN inspection
  5. Weight slip
Out of State Trailer Requirements
  1. If coming from titling state - VIN inspection
  2. If coming from a non-titling state - Certified VIN inspection
  3. Weight slip
Title Requirements
  • Moving to Colorado
    1. If no lien - need title for vehicle.
    2. If there is a lien - need current registration and lien holder name and address.
    3. VIN inspection form - filled out by a Colorado law officer or licensed dealership.
    4. Proof of insurance.
  • In State Purchase from Dealer
    1. Title or MSO
    2. Sales tax receipt - if vehicle was not purchased in Yuma County, county and city sales tax will be collected, if applicable.
    3. Odometer disclosure
    4. Dealer bill of sale
    5. If transferring plates, need to have them and the registration. If getting new plates, old plates must be surrendered to our office if credit, where applicable, is to be given toward new plates.
    6. Proof of insurance
  • In State Purchase from Dealer with Lien Paperwork might be in 'hold' box or on computer. If not, you need the following:
    1. Need title papers
    2. Security agreement
    3. Proof of insurance
  • Out of State Purchase from Dealer
    1. Out of state title or MSO
    2. Bill of sale
    3. Security agreement - if lien on vehicle
    4. Proof of insurance
    5. Secure odometer disclosure if not signed on the title/MSO and a written and hand printed signature from the seller and the buyer on the Colorado dealer bill of sale or the title/MSO
    6. VIN inspection
  • Purchase from Individual
    1. Title
    2. Bill of sale
    3. Need to collect state, city (if applies) and county taxes
    4. Proof of Insurance
    5. If title is from out of state, a VIN inspection will be required
Return to Top


(970) 332-5809

Link to Online Document Search
Application for Online Recording Indexes
Recorded Document Copy Request

The Recording Department is responsible for recording documents to make them permanent and public record and the indexing of. An example of the documents being imaged are warranty deeds, deeds of trust, quit claim deeds, subdivision plats, military discharges, liens, etc. for the general public. The recording fees vary depending upon the type of document, and number of pages. The Recording Department is also responsible for issuing marriage licenses for the general public.

Yuma County now offers online access to recording indexes via iDocs. With public access you can view indexing information only. Just click on the green Search Now button. You can request document copies based on indexing information from our office using the form here. To access images online you will need to go online and subscribe @ For subscription prices, refer to the idocmarket website.

Recording, Photocopying and Certification Fees General Recording (includes $3.00 surcharge per document):
  • Documents up to 8 1/2" x 14" per page - $13.00 for the first page and $5.00 for each additional page per document.
  • Recorded Document - $0.25 per page
  • Marriage License - $0.50
  • Marriage License - Certified copy - $1.50
  • Surveys or Plats - $5.00
  • Surcharge: To Mail, Fax, E-Mail - $1.00 (10 or fewer std. size), $2.00 (11 or more std. size)
Certification of a Document
  • Additional fee: - $1.00
Land Survey Plat (deposited or filed)
  • Deposited: - $20.00
  • Recorded Plat (including $3.00 surcharge): - $13.00
UCC FILINGS (Real Estate Records Only with $3.00 surcharge)
Standard UCC1 and UCC3 Forms (any size 1 or 2 pages) - $13.00
UCC Continuations, Releases, Terminations, Amendments:
  • One or two pages - $13.00
  • Three or more pages - 18.00
Non-Real Estate UCC Financing Statements are to be filed with:
   Colorado Secretary of State
   Central Filing Officer
   1560 Broadway, Suite 200
   Denver, CO 80202

Marriage License Information
In accordance with the requirements below, a license to marry in Colorado may be obtained in the Office of the Yuma County Clerk and Recorder, located in the Yuma County Courthouse, Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except holidays). The license is valid upon receipt, and must be used within 35 days anywhere within the State of Colorado. There is a $31.50 fee required. A license issued by another state is not valid in Colorado.

AGE: The requirements for the bride and groom are the same:
  • 18 and older - No parental consent is required.
  • 16 & 17 - Consent of both parents, or the parent having sole legal custody, or guardian, or judicial approval (court order) is required.
  • Under 16 - Consent of both parents, or the parent who has legal custody or with whom the child is living and judicial approval (court order) are required.
PROOF OF DATE OF BIRTH MUST BE FURNISHED BY BOTH PARTIES: Example: driver's license, birth certificate, passport, military identification, or other comparable evidence.

PREVIOUS MARRIAGE: If either party has previously been married, the date, place, and court in which the marriage was dissolved or declared invalid or the date and place of death of the former spouse will need to be provided.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: We will need to have both of your parents full names and their present addresses, if living; and your social security number.

BLOOD TEST: As of July 1, 1989, blood tests are not required for either party in the State of Colorado.

SAME SEX: Marriage licenses are issued. All current requirements apply.

PROHIBITED MARRIAGES: A couple may not marry when one of the parties is still married to another person. Marriage between ancestor and descendant (e.g., uncle and niece) or brother and sister, whether the relationship is by half or the whole blood, is prohibited. Marriage between cousins is permitted in Colorado. (See 14-2-110, Colorado Revised Statutes, for additional information).

APPLICATION: Both the bride and the groom must complete and sign the marriage application form. At least one of the parties must apply in person before the marriage clerk. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she must complete an affidavit received from our office, which requires a notarized signature. A couple already married, who wish to renew their marriage vows, or those who have a common law marriage may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other. Applicants for a marriage license need not be Colorado residents.

CEREMONY: A marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court, by a court magistrate, by a retired judge of a court, by a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, by the parties to the marriage, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination or Indian nation or tribe.

LICENSE: The person solemnizing the marriage shall complete the marriage certificate form and forward it to the County Clerk and Recorder within sixty-three days after solemnizing. Failure to do so shall result in a late fee of not less than $20.00, payable by the solemnizing person or party, an additional $5.00 late fee may be assessed for each additional day of failure to comply with the forwarding requirements up to a maximum of $50.00. For purposes of determining whether a late fee shall be assessed the date of forwarding shall be deemed to be the date of the postmark. CRS 14-2-109(1)

To request a copy of Marriage License Application, click here for form required.

CIVIL UNION: All information provided for obtaining a marriage license is the same for obtaining a Civil Union license. Please refer to information above.

NAME CHANGE INFORMATION: Please note that in Colorado you must change name with Social Security prior to changing your Driver License.
Social Security Administration can be contacted at 1-800-772-1213 or online at
Driver License requirements for name change can be found on the Colorado Department of Revenue website.

Return to Top


(970) 332-5809

Online Voter Registration
If you have a Colorado State driver's license or ID card issued by the Department of Revenue, you may register to vote online at

The Elections Department prepares, administers, conducts and tallies in a correct, uniform and impartial manner, Federal, State and County elections. The department also provides election services and assistance to Cities, Towns, School Districts and Special Districts of Yuma County. The Department is the registry and disseminating center for candidate campaign financing, voting information and voter registration.

How and Where to Register:
Yuma County Clerk and Recorder's Office
Yuma County Driver's License Office (with a renewal, new license, or ID card)
Online @

You may also refer to the State Election Information.

Registration Requirements
  1. 18 years of age or older on the date of the next election.
  2. A citizen of the United States.
  3. Resided in this state and the precinct in which the person intends to register 22 days immediately prior to the election at which the person intends to vote.
  4. Are not serving a sentence of confinement, detention or parole for a felony conviction.
Registering and Change of Address Information
You may register online (, print and mail the completed .pdf form to our offices, or FAX the form to (970) 332-5919. (You may change your address or register up to or on election day.)

  • Election Center, 130 E 3rd St. Wray

  • Motor Vehicle/Dr License branch office, Yuma City Building, 910 S Main St. Yuma, CO 80759

Legislative Council Blue Book

Voting Precincts
City of Yuma
City of Wray
County Wide

Notice of November 2017 Election
Click to view the November 2017 Election Notice.

November 2017 Ballot Information
RE-1J Ballot Style
RE-2J Ballot Style
RJ-3 Ballot Style
WRYI Ballot Style
YSD1 Ballot Style

Return to Top

Related Links
Colorado Secretary of State

Register To Vote Online

Renew License Plates Online

Check Availability of Renew by Mail

Drivers' Handbook

Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship (DR2460)

Forms of Identification List

Drivers Awareness Program

Election Results

eRecording Vendor

Designed and Developed by